Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Adventure Begins: Greenville to Savanna Georgia

I left Greenville South Carolina around 10 am and headed south on Highway 25 towards Savanna Georgia. Every mile I traveled a great weight lifted from my mind. It was a raw physical feeling, as though I had been asleep for years and was awakening. It felt like carbonation rising from the roots of my hair and left a sharp electric flavor in my mouth.I reached Savanna at sunset and went wandering the historical waterfront district. The cobbled streets were wet and the air was filled with the dark scent of the river.

I sat in on a "Ghosts of Savanna" walking tour and resting on the warf listened to the one-eyed saxophonist play jazz. Towering cargo ships from China slid past, headed for the docks up river.
Leaving Savanna around midnight I camped on a lonely back road lit by starlight and fireflies.

4 comments:

Cory Godbey said...

Finally! We have waited forever!

S. Leidigh said...

Yep, and I hope to keep posting every couple of days till the tale is told.

Brade said...

Eeeexcellent... I think you should inform Volvo of your journey. They would be proud...

S. Leidigh said...

Yeah, that car is a trooper. I wasn't sure if it could make it but it did.